Feedback Request: Table of Offests for Related Parts

Re: Feedback Request: Table of Offests for Related Parts
I think there are applications of a conncetion DB that can only work when the entire library is correctly and completely annotated.

But there are other applications that can provide value to users even when only a few parts are annotated.

I think this second point is important because I think the motivation for the community to work toward completing connection data will be stronger if there is at least some immediate benefit to partial completion of the work.

So I would say that technology used to "seed" a connection database would be valuable. For example, if it was possible to pre-populate 50% of the database with programatic analysis of existing parts, that's a great start. As a user of LDraw, I'd rather contribute to finish the second 50% of connection information than start from 0%. :-)

It may also be possible to get leverage by putting connection annotation on parts at the sub-part level. For example, if studs are built by referencing sub-parts (rather than hand modeling) then tagging a few sub-parts with stud connection information would effectively add studs to a large number of parts.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Feedback Request: Table of Offests for Related Parts - by Ben Supnik - 2013-02-02, 1:16