0 Name: entry - needless ?

0 Name: entry - needless ?
It took me about ten years to realize that the 0 Name: entry is not used by any application. It is only there to identify the part and the licenses that it is under!

By reading the specs carefully for the 0 Name: entry I found in the Official Library Header Specification only the description that the 0 Name: entry is followed by the filename!
I doubt that 's\file.dat' or '48\file.dat' is a filename. It is a filename with relative path information.

For the '48' I can imagine that this is neccessary to address, as there might be a file with the same name in the 'p' folder. To know which of the files the current context is, it makes sense to add that ('48') information to the filename.

For the 's' the above mentioned is not correct, as subfiles needs to carry a 's' in the filename. So there cannot be any double file name. So my guess is that this is only added because we cannot avoid the '48' entry and by doing it this way all subdirectories of parts and p are addressed the same way.

But the above are mainly my thoughts (nothing is written about that) and so one main question still exists for me:
1) Why do we add the prefix to the filename? No application uses that line as it is not recommended in the File Format 1.0.2
2) Why does the Official Library Header Specification did not mention the use of the path prefix for 's' and '48'?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
0 Name: entry - needless ? - by Michael Heidemann - 2012-12-15, 10:43
Re: 0 Name: entry - needless ? - by Tim Gould - 2012-12-15, 23:57
Re: 0 Name: entry - needless ? - by Chris Dee - 2012-12-18, 12:43
Re: 0 Name: entry - needless ? - by Steffen - 2012-12-19, 1:49
Re: 0 Name: entry - needless ? - by Steffen - 2012-12-19, 18:04