Thoughts about flexible parts

Re: Thoughts about flexible parts
The hose skin then definetely should be made available as a subpart, placed at the usual default LSYNTH
position (which matches the positioning and scaling of our 4-4 cyli primitive) and which should be also
perfectly useful for your purpose. The advantage of doing so is that BOTH tools will be able to use that file,
and that that position is mathematically ideal because it has the hose skin primitive extend from 0 to 1
and this way it can reliably scaled and positioned easily.
"Generating on the fly, interactively" sounds just *great*, this is something I had always missed from LSYNTH.
However, you can still do, by simply sweeping that "hose skin primitive" over the intended path at an interval
you can define freely (as opposed to *synthesizing* those surfaces on the fly).
The advantage of doing so will be that your algorithm will work for ALL kinds
of "sweepable" things like hoses, cables, etc.pp, just anything WITHOUT hardcoding their properties
into your software. The only things you will have to know are:
(a) where's the start (---> can easily be stored by using the existing LSYNTH syntax for a "begin" constraint, it is not LSYNTH-specific!)
(b) where's the end (dito)
© while going from (a) to (b), through which points should the sweep pass (dito)
important is:
(d) for the sweeping, use a LDRAW file which has standard 4-4cyli placement

Ensuring point (d) will make all your stuff compatible with LSYNTH, which FORTUNATELY adheres to the
standard primitives placement.

I'd like to humbly suggest you have a look at
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreviewsum...ctricplugs
where all the cables are modeled in this form.
I'd very much like to be able to sweep the existing cable primitive along its path
(maybe even interactively, how cool's that!?) using your tool......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts about flexible parts - by Steffen - 2012-07-16, 1:47