LSC: Texture Mapping extension

Re: LSC: Texture Mapping extension
I have been meaning to start an implementation of this for such a long time, but I've kept putting it off to do other things. No longer, I hope. I think this is a vital addition to LDraw.

Here are a few comments about the proposal:
  1. Does a texture stack have a real-world application, or is that just included to handle the case of nested TEXMAP directives?
  2. I strongly prefer removing geometry2. (All directives between TEXMAP START and TEXMAP FALLBACK would be a !: meta.) This would make writing the file back out considerably easier.
  3. If geometry2 remains in the spec, does that mean it is legal to introduce another TEXMAP START before the next TEXMAP END without it being in a !: meta? This is somewhat more parsing work, as it means counting up STARTs instead of just advancing to END/FALLBACK.
  4. I think the NEXT command should be removed. I think it adds complexity with little to no value; I would rather keep the syntax minimalistic.
  5. Extensibility of projection method: is every method expected to have 9 parameters? If not, there needs to be some kind of demarcator, since the last token cannot be identified if the pngfile is allowed to have spaces in it.
  6. pngfile must support spaces, because this would make a good end-user feature. Lots of people make custom decals for their creations.

Allen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LSC: Texture Mapping extension - by Allen Smith - 2012-04-10, 4:15