Terminating the CA?

Re: Terminating the CA?
Hi Tore,

I totally understand your frustration at some of the silly (IMO) rules that seem to be imposed on parts. But you did submit (or relicense) them voluntarily knowing a) that they were licensed under the CA and b) that the rules were evolving. This means you submitted them with the knowledge that in future things could change. I can totally understand your being annoyed at the changes, but not your desire to pull your parts.

One of the chief advantages of "copyleft" licensing (like the CA) is that it protects the sum as greater than the parts. In the case of the LDraw library this means that the library can keep growing bigger, regardless of how some of its authors people feel about it at any one time. It is protected.

But even better than that, the whole library can be forked and reworked. So you could, if you desired, start a ToreDraw library with less strict criteria than the LDraw one simply by copying across the original library and allowing additions under different rules. There have been times where I've felt tempted to do that to make a more flexible library with lower standards, but I've never quite been motivated enough. Perhaps you might be.

Anyway, I hope you do reconsider, or if not perhaps you could try using the CA to do something new. But you cannot rescind your submissions, for better or worse you've let them into the wild.

Tim
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Terminating the CA? - by Tore Eriksson - 2012-03-08, 1:58
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Orion Pobursky - 2012-03-08, 2:35
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Tore Eriksson - 2012-03-09, 3:15
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Tim Gould - 2012-03-09, 7:59
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Jude Parrill - 2012-03-10, 2:33
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Willy Tschager - 2012-03-08, 12:36
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Tore Eriksson - 2012-03-08, 18:41
Re: Terminating the CA? - by Orion Pobursky - 2012-03-08, 18:47