Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour

Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour
Hey Steffen,

Steffen Wrote:Rolf, that part that you've attached to your post has nothing to do with our discussion here:
we're not talking about parts where it is obvious that parts of the pattern need to be color 16.
we're just talking about a very small set of parts where the pattern contains portion
which only make sense in 1 specific color, like the red portion of the fire pattern.

I attached this part only to clarify my position. It was only an example to emphasize that a pattered part that does not exist in real should not be submitted to the parts tracker. And my oppinion was, that the hard coloring of the red portion of the fire pattern makes that part a custom patterned part.

Steffen Wrote:my point is that by using color 16 for the outside 4 ndis's, and hardcoded red for the flame portion,
the pattern can be used on any background color freely.
and that degree of freedom is what I want to achieve.
just versatility of our library.

At the one hand you wish to use the part in all colors with a red flame. At the other hand you refuse me to use this part for a sci-fi model. Versatility with restrictions? Please don't take the "you" personally!

Steffen Wrote:and yes, I am talking of that classic fire pattern, not some sci-fi "green flame fire pattern" etc.
just the modeling of the classic fire logo, which is the file mentioned above.
it carries no other semantics.

Looks like LEGO did not only created a "classic fire pattern". Should there be a "classic fire pattern" and a neutral "fire pattern"? There are some parts that needs the fire pattern with a hardcoded red for the flame portion (e.g. 2493c02pb01, 2494pb07, (4346p01; looks different)). This might be a basis where we could build up a definition for an acceptable exception to the convention (clear part with red flame guides to red flame even if not printed).

This is only my opinion. And my opinion is that we should keep the convention.

Rolf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour - by Rolf Osterthun - 2012-01-06, 16:16