LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available

RE: LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available
(2022-02-08, 3:23)tom alphin Wrote: To my knowledge, this is the first time that the 32-bit apps were separated from the 64-bit apps.  Why was this done?... It only makes the install process more complicated and doesn't reduce the size of the AIOI very much, since the additional 32-bit apps are just 60mb.

My expectation is that:
  • the 32-bit installer is for 32-bit OS - installs all of the 32-bit apps and parts library
  • the 64-bit installer is for 64-bit OS - installs 64 bit apps (when available) and 32 bit ones if a 64-bit version isn't available - and the parts library too.

Instead the 64-bit installer is effectively required, and the 32-bit installer is supplemental. This feels like the worst of both worlds - can't install on 32bit PC, and can't get everything in a single AIOI.

---tom

P.S. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see an updated version for 2022 :-)

There is no installer-software that can install 64 bit and 32 bit simultaneously. I've been looking into this for years and ultimately decided for this approach. 64 bit OS are around since Windows Vista, 2006 to say. I think it is fair to say that 16 years were enough time to upgrade from an XP ecosystem to a 64 bit environment.

Furthermore it is is also to encourage the programmers of the remaining 32 bit progs to emigrate to 64 bit.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available - by Willy Tschager - 2022-02-08, 7:21