LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available

RE: LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available
(2022-01-30, 18:01)Willy Tschager Wrote: The AIOI supports Windows XP (Home and Pro), Windows Vista or higher (all versions). There are two installer files available: Use the 64 Bit AIOI to install all the main 64 Bit programs, while the older 32 Bit programs are offered in a separated .exe file. Please note that only the 64 Bit version contains the LDraw Parts Library. If you want to use the 32 Bit programs it is mandatory that the library has been installed previously. The Installer will NOT run on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT Ver 4, 2000, or XP below SP2.

To my knowledge, this is the first time that the 32-bit apps were separated from the 64-bit apps.  Why was this done?... It only makes the install process more complicated and doesn't reduce the size of the AIOI very much, since the additional 32-bit apps are just 60mb.

My expectation is that:
  • the 32-bit installer is for 32-bit OS - installs all of the 32-bit apps and parts library
  • the 64-bit installer is for 64-bit OS - installs 64 bit apps (when available) and 32 bit ones if a 64-bit version isn't available - and the parts library too.

Instead the 64-bit installer is effectively required, and the 32-bit installer is supplemental. This feels like the worst of both worlds - can't install on 32bit PC, and can't get everything in a single AIOI.

---tom

P.S. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see an updated version for 2022 :-)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2022-01 v1 now available - by tom alphin - 2022-02-08, 3:23