LDraw, Peeron, BrickLink crossref?

Re: LDraw, Peeron, BrickLink crossref?
Well, I'm more of the mind that I'm resigned to neither Peeron nor BrickLink changing their part numbers Smile Essentially, I'm asking, is there (or SHOULD there be) a crossref between these repositories?

Let's say (for the sake of argument) that I've got an LDraw model, or a Peeron inventory, and I wanted to purchase the parts from BrickLink-- if a bunch of the parts don't line up with BrickLink, then it just sucks-to-be-you. You've got to figure out which elements don't line up, and search for them in BrickLink to figure out their corresponding numbers. But it'd be handy in that situation to have a little translation feature that converts things into BrickLink numbers.

The reason *I'm* asking in this instance is actually for LUGBULK. In our club, I've written an application that "speculates" which elements are likely to be available using BrickLink data. And that's all well and good-- but we've got some members that want to use Peeron data to crossref into it. Similarly, we've got other members who want to use LEGO Design IDs.

So, I sort of built up a short list (as they came up, or as I felt like it) of a crossref between Peeron and BrickLink. But it's a pathetically short list (111 entries, but really more like 48, since a bunch are just for different lengths of string). Essentially, I'm curious if I'm duplicating anyone's effort, and seeing if I can escape the mundane task of maintaining my own copy of the list! Has anyone done it before?

Next question is, if I *am* the only one who's tried to compile this data, does anyone else want it? Would LDraw.org like it? I'd consider giving it to BrickLink, too, although they'd have to do some dev work to use it, and I'm not sure what the state of that would be, given the state of things over there. If so, what would be done with it, how would it be maintained, etc, etc.

Anyway, I'm just curious at this point...

DaveE
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDraw, Peeron, BrickLink crossref? - by David Eaton - 2011-12-14, 20:41