MacOS LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited

RE: LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited
Here is the proposed installation process. I've written it up here briefly for those who are willing to test it out. Please let me know if I've missed any steps, or if you encounter issues I'm not aware of.

This was tested under 10.15.7 Catalina and will presumably work just as well under Big Sur. (Mojave users can skip parts V and VI, as they can directly open .exe files via Wine Stable.app.)

I. Install XQuartz
  1. Download the installer disk image from xquartz.org: XQuartz-2.8.1.dmg
    NOTE: XQuartz 2.7.9 also works, but not 2.7.11 or 2.8.0.
  2. Open the disk image, and then open the installer package from the resulting virtual disk
  3. Follow the installer prompts, including your administrator password when asked
  4. Log out when finished (trash the installer if wanted), then log back in
  5. XQuartz is now installed in Applications/Utilities
II. Install Wine
  1. Download the installer package from winehq.org:
    Version 4.0.3: winehq-stable-4.0.3.pkg
    I am recommending 4.0.3 because it avoids the desktop switching issue. But the latest stable version with a pkg available is:
    Version 5.0: winehq-stable-5.0.pkg
  2. Open the installer package; you will get a "can't be opened" error message, click “OK”
  3. In System Preferences–>Security & Privacy, click “Open Anyway”
  4. Open the installer package again; the same error message will appear, but you can now click “Open”
  5. Follow the installer prompts, being sure to check “64 bit support”
  6. Wine Stable.app is now installed in Applications, but can’t be opened as it is a 32 bit app bundle. However, Wine is installed inside of it and the wine64 executable can be run from the command line.
III. Install LDCad
  1. Download the Windows archive (not setup) package from melkert.net: archive
  2. Extract the archive file, which creates the LDCad folder with 32 and 64 bit versions
IV: Install GUI fonts
  1. Download DejaVu fonts: dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.37.zip
  2. Locate hidden “.wine” folder in your user folder (⌘⇧. to show hidden items)
  3. In ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts, place the downloaded DejaVu fonts folder
V. Launch LDCad
  1. Open Terminal, run command:
    /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine64 /Users/yourusername/Downloads/LDCad-1-6d-Win/LDCad64.exe
  2. Adjust the path to LDCad64.exe if it isn't in "Downloads".
  3. Wine will update the .wine prefix, and will ask to install Mono and Gecko (but LDCad will continue to launch in the background).
    Clicking "Cancel" for both of these does not appear to be a problem.
  4. Accept LDCad license agreement
  5. Enter path to your LDraw library when prompted, replacing “/“ with “\” where appropriate
  6. LDCad now opens
VI. Create a launcher app
  1. Open Script Editor (from Applications/Utilities)
  2. Enter code:
    tell application "Terminal"do script "/Applications/Wine\\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine64 /Users/yourusername/Downloads/LDCad-1-6d-Win/LDCad64.exe"end tell
  3. Save the script as “Application” file format, name the app
  4. Open the launcher app; give permission to control Terminal if prompted
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited - by N. W. Perry - 2021-06-02, 5:14