Part file naming issues

RE: Part file naming issues
(2021-02-05, 13:07)Orion Pobursky Wrote: While some of the problems you discuss above are not really problems (sticker suffixes), the overall issue is addressed in the intro:
"As these rules have evolved over time, there may be parts in the Official Library that do not conform. This legacy numbering remains in place for backwards compatibility reasons."

Well, there are definitely some parts that have been added to the library a while ago and haven't been updated for a long time, so their numbers might not fully conform to the spec. But, as I said, there are other parts that have been added/updated quite recently, including the above mentioned parts 10715p01 and 10715p02, which also do not conform. I'm not a LEGO parts expert, but from what I can see in the corresponding parts' files, those are not patterned parts. Rather, they seem to be two variants of the same part and hence should've been named 10715a and 10715b.

Another similar example: parts 14639pNN, which also look more like regular part variants rather than prints.

Yet another example is part 13359p01, which is indeed a patterned part, but for some reason the original part, 13359, is missing from the library.

I'm just trying to understand whether I can rely solely on reading just the file name to get some meta-information about the corresponding part, but apparently this is not always the case.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 12:05
RE: Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 14:06
RE: Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 17:29