Bricksmith Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur

RE: Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur
(2020-11-23, 23:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: MacOS is fine. It's that we don't have any, active developers for MacOS programs.

I kind of disagree with that. As a software developer, macOS is both awesome and also extremely infuriating. Awesome, because it's (IMO) relatively easy to develop for. Extremely frustrating, because Apple constantly breaks backwards compatibility on things, both publicly (when they do things like remove support for 32-bit apps) and secretly (when old programs just stop working). I don't have Big Sur, and I won't have it for at least another two months, since frankly, I have learned not to trust Apple's major OS updates any further than I can throw their UFO headquarters building. In addition, they constantly force developers to stop supporting old versions of macOS. The earliest version that can be supported by any app built with the latest Xcode is 10.9 Mavericks.

I just released a new Beta of LDView built with the latest Xcode, and hopefully that will work in Big Sur. If not, then it's not going to be fixed until I can trust Big Sur not to hose my system. (Given that Big Sur seems to have bricked a bunch of MacBook Pros, I am not being paranoid. Even if they aren't really bricked, they are at the very least non-functional for days or weeks.)

I can't think of anything off-hand that would cause LDView not to work in Big Sur. However, the officiall version of LDView (4.3) was built long enough ago, that if that's what doesn't work, it doesn't surprise me at all. Until I get feedback from Beta 3, I'll leave Beta 2 up (which was built with last year's Xcode).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur - by Travis Cobbs - 2020-11-24, 2:35