Form Net 8 x 16 Rectangle

RE: Form Net 8 x 16 Rectangle
(2020-04-14, 19:25)Roland Melkert Wrote: I've been thinking about a cloth like generator multiple times, but it's been very hard to setup something useful so far.

2D (sheet) like path definitions are somewhat doable as long the height differences are not so big.

But making things fold and big changes in the surface would make it much more complicated (If one wants the cloth pattern to remain consistent).

I think the first consideration there would be value for effort—lots of Lego sets use flexible elements, but how many actually use cloth parts? (Maybe more than I'm thinking, but certainly far fewer than linear flex elements.)

That said (and speaking as someone quite ignorant of 3D modelling), how might a cloth generator work? Could it be a matter of defining the margin, or "outline", of a cloth parts using existing flex commands, then filling in the surface using something like Coverer?

You could even have different types of donor parts for different kinds of cloth edges: sharp edge (like vinyl), rough (like unfinished woven, maybe with a setting for "coarseness"), hemmed (with a sewn seam), or invisible (like the net part we're discussing here, if it were modeled as a mesh rather than individual woven strands).

But yeah, I guess getting the pattern right would be the real problem, more than calculating the shape itself…
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Form Net 8 x 16 Rectangle - by N. W. Perry - 2020-04-14, 20:09