LDCad—Tying the knot

RE: LDCad—Tying the knot
(2019-11-14, 21:49)Roland Melkert Wrote: The circle points only play nice combined with bezier points if the whole thing is on a 2d plane.

If not weird thing will start happening the more a 3rd axis comes into play.

I intended it mostly for guiding bumps in bands (gravity pull etc).

As for spools I'm thinking about a third control point for those so they can be generated based on a single set of parameters (bit like springs).

I see. Well, I do think it would be handy to have some way to automatically generate spools—and knots, too—since both are used in a lot of official models. I can say that with spools, I was surprised to find that there's some complexity at the end of each course of windings, where the strand crosses over itself and rises up to the next larger diameter. It's not quite a simple as a given number of concentric coils, if you're going for total realism.

(Actually, I find that many of the modeling challenges I face have to do with just figuring out the correct point at which two or more objects would physically collide: place this path point so that the string's outer diameter contacts the inner diameter of this hole…rotate this part so that its end just touches this other part…place this oddly-shaped part on the ground so that its various surfaces come to rest as they naturally wood…and so forth. That's a big part of making a spool, too—not terribly difficult, but fiddly and time consuming. I often wonder if programs could have an overall awareness of the physical mass of the modeled parts, and be able to constrain and automate their placement accordingly—but that's really another thread!)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-13, 0:57
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-14, 15:33
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-14, 19:13
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-15, 6:30
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-15, 23:19
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-18, 4:42
RE: LDCad—Tying the knot - by N. W. Perry - 2019-11-23, 1:36