Officials models in the LDRaw Library

Re: Officials models in the LDRaw Library
Travis Cobbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I disagree. The parts library is just that, a
> library of parts. As far as I know, the only
> reason that it includes the car and pyramid files
> is because these were part of the original LDraw
> package, sample models to show the program in use.

So maybe we should remove these two models and the MODELS folder because they look pretty odd for a new user of LDRaw.

> I could see a separate package that contains
> official models that could be downloaded, and even
> see having it install the files into the
> LDRAW\MODELS directory by default, but they really
> don't belong in the parts library itself.

I can understand that opinion, apparently shared by others.
It's not that I want absolutly the models to be inside the library. I just feel that official models would have their place on the LDraw website, without the need to implement any new line of PHP code.
Now pushing this to another website is like push it sine die... because nobody seems to have enough energy, time or enough legitimity to start a new web site from scratch.
Instead once can find models here or there spread all over the net without really knowing if these files are free for use or not.

If you don't want to bind the models files with the release of new part package, I can understand that, but maybe we could reuse the PHP code of the part tracker and duplicate it to do a "model tracker" and also reuse all the process that is working perfectly for the parts (model submission, and pair review). Actually I agree that having a separate database is a good idea, but could this database be hosted on ldraw.org?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Officials models in the LDRaw Library - by Alban Nanty - 2011-08-01, 23:33