With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help

RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help
(2016-04-18, 9:09)Hamish Grace Wrote: given the lack of things I'd consider pretty major.

I'm really wanting to like LDraw, but this is pretty major.

The LDraw vs LDD discussion depends a lot on ones perspective and requirements.

Personally, I've always used the LDraw system, first with MLCad, then with SR3d Builder and now with LDCad. I've taken a look or two at LDD, but I never felt it could offer what I wanted in a digital LEGO editor. LDD is missing lots and lots of parts, it does not support custom parts or stickers, it does not allow free placement of parts, management of larger models seems tricky (I think, maybe I haven't found the right way), the graphics are really bad and I haven't even started talking about the user interface or workflow here.

Collision detection is something I specifically do not want in an editor. I want to be the one making the decision if I can place a part or not because there are techniques that should work but do not in real life, others are considered illegal by LEGO but work just fine.
An option to limit bricks to "official" colors is problematic as well. What is an official color anyway? Is it what LEGO is producing right now? Is it anything LEGO has ever made? Do you want to include test runs or color combinations that were made for LEGOLAND etc. but never released in any set?
Part snapping of course is really useful, but that's why it is included in the more up-to-date LDraw editors.
----------
my flickr
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help - by Niklas Buchmann - 2016-04-18, 15:50