Leading or trailing white space characters in file names

Re: Leading or trailing white space characters in file names
In principle I'm against restricting anything without a good reason. So my question: why allow leading white space on 1..5 and not on 0 ?

Except for the file type issue Travis raised (which only affects the first line), I don't see any good reason for issuing this restriction.

Inlining can be a very powerful tool when working with (very) large ldr files. So why suddenly disallowing inlining 0 lines, which basically invalidates all files using inlined coded for readability purposes.

Just imagine writing e.g. a c++ program where it (only) isn't allowed to inline the 'for' statement.

For example:

Code:
0 my file
1 ..
1 ..

0 start of some sub construction (e.g. building book 1/2)
1 ..
1 ..
0 don't forget this next part is a tmp stand in
1 ..

0 start of some sub sub construction (e.g. generated flex tube)
  1 ..
  1 ..
  0 end of sub sub

1 ..
1 ..
0 end of sub

I know you could use mpd's and or subfiles but, sometimes you just need every thing in a single file that also needs to remain readable.

And besides working with a huge mpd can be simplified inlineing the submodels per '0 FILE' statement, this would also shift the headers of those subfiles which would make the whole mpd invalid using the proposed restriction.

So imho such a restriction doesn't add anything to the spec (and the users), it only takes something away.

edit: Spell check was disabled in my browser for some reason.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Leading or trailing white space characters in file names - by Roland Melkert - 2012-01-10, 18:37