Inclusion of LSYNTH parts in the official LDRAW library

Re: Inclusion of LSYNTH parts in the official LDRAW library
Don Heyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, that looks like some harsh criticism. Am I
> reading it wrong?

I'm definitely not happy with the current state of LSynth synthesis parts. Just within the past few weeks a user (Willy, actually) reported a bug in LDView that related to where he had the synthesis parts, and while he sent me his model for testing, the fact that I didn't have the synthesis parts meant that I couldn't test with his model without first installing LSynth (which I have no need to have installed, since I'm not doing synthesis). As it turns out, I was able to track down the bug without needing the sample model, but since LDraw models are intended to be shareable, LSynth's lack of a "synthesis parts" package is unfortunate.

Having said all that, LSynth seems to do an awesome job of doing what it does. (Note: I say "seems to" here because I've never used it, not because I'm doubtful.) And things are most certainly better with it being available in its current form (no synthesis parts package) than if it didn't exist at all. But it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to simply make the synthesis parts available in an official zip download for people who want to look at LSynth'd files without having to install LSynth.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Inclusion of LSYNTH parts in the official LDRAW library - by Travis Cobbs - 2011-08-07, 20:57