OMR specification and unofficial files

Re: OMR specification and unofficial files
Quote:That's not a huge problem, at least it remains correct...
I would not say "correct", it would remain wrong but the MPD file will be viewable.

Quote:Using your own argument: "I am 100% sure OMR repository models will not be updated" means that files that are not self contained or using the trusted official library will get broken. I have too often seen models on the net that were useless because the virtual builder didn't care to include unofficial parts!
I personnaly prefer to have a broken model, so that it can be pointed out by any user noticing it and corrected instead of a model with parts outdated and hard to detect. (But maybe it's because I'm an "advanced" ldraw user).

Quote:I have too often seen models on the net that were useless because the virtual builder didn't care to include unofficial parts!
I'm not sure the average virtual builder is even aware of those specifications, models out of the OMR (like in Eurobicks) will keep on not included unofficial parts. The uselessness of a "broken" model is a matter of what one want to do with it. If I download a model with an included part, It's useless for me. Smile

Quote:Unfortunately parts inside OMR files get renamed as <setname><part number>.dat. This means that correspondance with LGEO parts is not so direct.
As I said, this my main concern, and I don't want to include unofficial parts because of that.
I guess it would be the same for any people who has written scripts to export ldraw Model to other softwares.
And even if ldview can replace a self-contained part by its LGEO equivalent, if the origin has changed, it will be the render which will be broken.

I don't want to make a mess, only to give my point of view. Wink

In a ideal world, the OMR would be linked to the tracker, and as with parts that cannot be certified if a sub-part is not, a set would not be certified if one part is not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: OMR specification and unofficial files - by Damien Roux - 2016-03-04, 10:25