LDCad 1.5 Beta 1b (win+linux)

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1b (mirroring)
Roland Melkert Wrote:I've been thinking about the mirroring feature and it will need additional information at some point (a mirror transformation matrix (per axis?) and in some cases a replacement part reference (e.g. left/right wing)).

I'm now thinking to add this info using the shadow files and a new meta. Or would it be more practical to do this in a central config file?

Any thoughts on this.
My initial thought after reading this would be to keep the mirroring data in a separate config file. Granted, I'm not as familiar with LDraw file specs, but the thought of adding additional info in the shadow files that doesn't really relate to them could be confusing and complicate the file structure, i.e., would we need to see this info in the source code window (does it add value), or would it just clutter things up? I could just not understand the full extent of the shadow files though, and this might fit in fine. I can see from one point that, if you want to make this data easily accessible/modifiable, then this could be a good approach, but does this data compliment what's already there?

Also, the fledgling coder in me thinks that a more "modular" design for this data makes sense, just in case you need to manipulate it differently later, or rip it out all together, it would be easier to do if it wasn't jumbled in with the shadow files.

Just thinking out loud... Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1b (mirroring) - by Jason McReynolds - 2015-10-28, 21:50