JBrickBuilder connection model

Re: JBrickBuilder connection model
Ben Supnik Wrote:(I realize that your spec is based on a side-table of connectivity, but my hope is that someday we end up with the data directly in the part files for ubiquitous use. :-)
imho this is mandatory if your goal is to make it part of the LDraw standard.

Ben Supnik Wrote:I can't think of any off hand but then I also couldn't name a single rigid connection.
How about the NXT connectors?

Ben Supnik Wrote:I don't have a strong opinion yet about whether it's better to have more connection families, with their data custom tailored to the joint type, or whether it's better to have a smaller number of more general (but complex) connection types.
This is basiclly why I choose the shape description method I'm mainly using with LDCad. As LEGO is mainly just holes and pegs describing those will automaticlly result in n on n connection / snapping without having to define every possible combination first.

For example you don't have to put 'female technicpin' info on every tehnic beam hole besides female axle hole info, and (optionally) female stud hole info. You just describe the shape of the hole once and anything with a (partial) similar shape will fit / snap to it.

ps shouldn't we move this discussion to http://forums.ldraw.org/list.php?32 if we are serious about setting up an official connection model?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: JBrickBuilder connection model - by Roland Melkert - 2015-02-04, 20:19