Introducing a second HL library?

Re: Introducing a second library?
Hey Roland,

Roland Melkert Wrote:Also you probably want to list all unique positions, texcords, normals, colors in single big arrays followed by triangle and quad listings using those arrays.

this is something where I'm really not so sure.

In .obj files (for example) you have to follow a fixed sequence (write 1//1 for a position and a normal). If I may exaggerate slightly, this could guide to something like 1//1//////4 ;-).

In .ply files you have to define what follows (at least I think so). Too complex in my opinion.

What I could imagine is someting like (here a quad):
Code:
4 0 1 2 3 n 0 c 16
or
Code:
4 0 1 2 3 n4 0 0 0 0 c4 16 16 4 16 // with Gradient Brush

But currently, I would prefer "uniqe combo's of those elements". This is something I have also seen in many computer games. It would be nice if the library would be so flexible that you could even add bones, bone weights and bone indices (in theory). But it's a wash.

Roland Melkert Wrote:And to get any real advantage from the format the data probably needs to flattened (e.g. whole recursive 3001.dat).

Hm. I really like the hierarchical structure of the LDraw file format. Here are the ghosts: do you want an expandable high perfomance library or an expandable hierarchical library with smaller files.

Rolf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Introducing a second library? - by Rolf Osterthun - 2015-02-24, 0:01
Re: Introducing a second library? - by Nicola - 2015-02-23, 16:19
Sergio Reano passed away - by Steffen - 2014-11-14, 23:10