Adding normals to the library

Re: Adding normals to the library
I also always wondered if there was really a use for a lot of primitives. Mind you, I only very recently got interested in part authoring and the workings behind LDraw. The previous years I was a user and nothing more than that.

I do understand the logic behind primitives like studs, common joints etc. etc. Because, first off, they're common and secondly (as far as I know), they are also used for automatic part snapping/connection in software like SR3D Builder or LDCad.

But, primiteves like boxes and things like that are (in my eyes) not that useful. They may save the author maybe a 10 minutes or so of work. And, if you still want the time saving, you can also just inline the primitive.
Especially the primitives based on primitives I find quite strange... For example, there are primitives for a bunch of stud configurations, like 1x4, 1x6, 1x8. They literally just contain the stud primitive 4, 6 or 8 times. It's nothing more than that.

Again, I'm still quite new to all of this. But, that might also be useful. I'm maybe looking at it from a different perspective than the veterans here Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 13:31
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 14:17
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 16:12
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Merlijn Wissink - 2014-11-04, 18:41
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 22:07
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2015-01-16, 16:07
Re: Adding normals to the library - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 22:54