Question to the Linux users

Re: Question to the Linux users
Thanks for the insight,

I've setup the project to use as little 3rd party stuff as possible. Most is own code (like string handling) using std functions only. So the current version only needs:

wxWidgets (gdi gui)
boost (Only threading and mutex stuff, wx already uses pthread, but I want to keep the gui and 'core' separate.)
zlib & libpng (texture loading)
glew (OpenGL headers)

In the windows version I managed to statically link to all (hence the 7MB exe).

Current linux version uses only wxWidgets statically at the moment (you can check using console command ldd, what deps a executable has.) But this is because I haven't tried optimizing the linking make rule jet.

I'm not sure but I aslo think wxWidgets has some 'via via' dependencies but those should be less of a problem, cuase wxWidgets has been designed for static linking.

Haven't (dare) tried running the executable in a clean environment jet though. I first want to make sure all functionality is working correctly.

I probably could get rid of the z and png deps by writing my own (very basic) png loader (It only has to handle 24/32 bit files anyway) or use something more basic (like tga), but haven't found the time/motivation for that jet.

ps: mesa is only used at the moment because it's the default OpenGL render in the VMWare machine I'm using at the moment. The executable should use whatever is available without recompile.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question to the Linux users - by Roland Melkert - 2011-11-21, 20:25