Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives

Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives
Hi Santeri,

I like the use of tag-value syntax, but for the 'default' and 'studlogos' values the syntax breaks - we have tags without values.

Ideally I would like to be able to extend this syntax in the future (adding new keywords) without breaking existing clients, which implies that a parser can parse the data without knowing all of the tags.

This syntax might be sort of stupid looking, but what if we do something like:

Code:
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL FOLDER p/8         SEGMENTS 8               DESCRIPTION "Low resolution"
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL FOLDER p           SEGMENTS 16 DEFAULT    1 DESCRIPTION "Standard"
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL FOLDER p/logostuds SEGMENTS 16 STUDLOGOS  1 DESCRIPTION "Logoed studs"

The default and studlogos tags would then have a value of 0 or 1, their default (if omitted) is 0, and clients assume that every pair of words (with quotes forming a single big word) is a key-value pair.

If people think parsing quoted words is annoying we could also do this:
Code:
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL "Low resolution"
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO FOLDER p/8        
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO SEGMENTS 8              

0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL "Standard"
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO FOLDER p          
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO SEGMENTS 16
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO DEFAULT

0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL "Logoed studs"
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO FOLDER p/logostuds
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO SEGMENTS 16
0 !PRIMITIVE-DETAIL-INFO STUDLOGOS

I don't have strong aesthetic opinions on the file format (particularly if Allen writes the parser ;-) but I would like to be able to add keywords later without having to worry about existing clients.

cheers
Ben
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives - by Ben Supnik - 2013-08-21, 14:24