How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers)

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers)
Apple has made it impossible for anyone to produce pure hobby software for iOS. A developer for Apple devices must either commit to funding the hobby out-of-pocket indefinitely (which, at $100/year, is a substantial outlay), or must worry about how to monetize it.

Even worse is that Apple, at any point and for any contrived "reason," may vaporize your hobby project with no forewarning or recourse on your part. After that, your work is completely wasted, as its is technically impossible to distribute it without Apple's dispensation. And of course, there's no remuneration for your lost work.

Due to these considerations, I haven't been able to justify any iOS hobby development. One might also take these factors into account when shopping for a mobile device. There's at least one platform that doesn't work like this.

Allen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - by Allen Smith - 2012-12-19, 19:38