How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers)

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers)
1. Hmm...well I looked again at the specs and I think I got my answer. If the subfiles are parts, I don't need to worry about it. I'm flattening parts before I render them (so I can have a single VBO per part), so this should help me minimize the amount of double-sided rendering I do (which doubles the GPU usage)

2. Huh; I did not think about that. I can definitely think of cases where there wouldn't be conditional lines but you'd want smoothing (e.g, the interior of a funnel). Speaking of conditional lines, do you just brute force them and draw them one at a time? There's got to be a faster way to handle them...

3. Yea, probably the wrong category to ask such a question in. I know they recommend using ldraw units whenever possible, so here's to hoping that most parts just naturally "fit" together.

5. BFC...From CW to INVERTNEXT to matrix determinants...*sigh*. And I still haven't caught all the cases as of yet, as you can likely see in the rear wheel. Per the polygon count...1k polygons per piece (when you flatten them) is a fair estimate. My "test bench" has 800K - 1M polygons, so minimizing the polygon count is pretty important.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - by Paul Griffin - 2012-12-17, 20:37