Axle Length vs Axle Stopper

Axle Length vs Axle Stopper
I am starting the thread based on the discussion that evolved here on the PT concerning part 72008, which has no through holes, but an axle stopper at the centre.

There are some other parts that have a stopper, but no matter how small it is, this is currently incompüatible with our axel lengths, which are multiples of 20 LDUs.

Here is Magnus' statment:
Magnus Forsberg [MagFors] made the following comment. 2024-01-10 16:53:49
This is perhaps a good opportunity to discuss the error in all similar parts.
The hole needs to be exactly 20 ldu deep, but in most cases it has been modeled with a divider at 19.5, 1 ldu thick.
That's not correct.

All Technic Axle are made using the axle.dat primitive. Or something more suitable, when needed.
That primitive is not correct. A real axle has a slightly bevelled, convex end. Making it possible to have the 2 axles pushed all the way into the stopper ring, wich has a coresponding concave bevelled design

The axlehole primitives in this part need to be 20 ldu deep, to allow a correct position of a mounted axle.
But we need to also have a stopper, 1 ldu thick. It doesn't add up.

When I reworked the axlehole primitive I found that many parts use a primitive that is only 19.5 ldu.
This will be a problem in connection seeking SW, that will not allow a correct position of the axle. The hole isn't deep enough.

And Max' measurement of the Axles in real life:
Max Martin Richter [MMR1988] made the following comment. 2024-01-10 18:24:00
All axles I measure are shorter than our models.
2L = 15.7 mm
3L = 23.4 mm
4L = 31.7 mm
5L = 39.4 mm
6L = 47.7 mm
7L = 55.5 mm
8L = 63.5 mm
10L = 79.4 mm
12L = 95.2 mm
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Axle Length vs Axle Stopper - by Gerald Lasser - 2024-01-10, 21:34