Rethinking LDraw for modern hardware and software

RE: Rethinking LDraw for modern hardware and software
(2023-10-15, 13:15)Max Murtazin Wrote: One thing tho is really bothering me, and that is how heavily LDraw relies on geometry color for making the printed parts. It really is not a problem for flat parts, or when you are not using any lighting aside the ambient light. But in pretty much all other cases it causes very ugly calculated normals, so, the way parts like minifigure heads are done should be preferably rethinked

I very much agree with that. While I appreciate the preference for geometrical rather than textured patterns (vectorization and all that), this quality is rather compromised by the difficulty in merging curved and flat patterned geometries.

My envisioned solution, and I don't know how feasible this is from a processing standpoint of course, is to have a way to designate any given face as either curved or flat (flat being the fallback obviously). Maybe that isn't specific enough, and you'd have to indicate the exact geometry to map the surface onto (like a cylinder for mining heads). But the idea is just to "force" patterned tris and quads to assume the curvature of a larger whole.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rethinking LDraw for modern hardware and software - by N. W. Perry - 2023-10-15, 20:35