Sloped Minifig Leg 3817b is wrong

RE: Sloped Minifig Leg 3817b is wrong
This issue is bigger than the regular minifig leg.

It all started with an incorrect assumption from me. I claimed that the footprint of the minifig leg should be inline with the hipstud in 3815.
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-18102-post-18119.html#pid18119

Nils made a new leg based on that assumption, 3817b.dat
Chris and I reworked most of the patterned parts, and they have been made official.
The only downside was a strange slope on the backside of the leg. Hm....

Then I found this image. I think it comes from the original minifig patent document.

.png   Technical_drawing_minifigure.png (Size: 117.09 KB / Downloads: 220)
.png   Technical_drawing_minifigure red line.png (Size: 121.41 KB / Downloads: 222)

Notice the offset of the centre line through the foot.

This would mean that we have to redesign the leg again. The foot has to be moved 1 ldu forward. The foot should be moved, and the front of the leg, but not the shape and surface of the hip.

The easy way out of this is to revert back to the old design, 3816.dat,  but....
What should we do about all the legs that have been derived from the leg with the incorrect sloping backside?

Faun leg, Pirate leg, Robot leg, Springed leg and the Prostethic leg, and the Dual moulded leg and the Long leg and the Medium leg. 
Philo talked about something being strange in the design of the prostetic leg. Can't find it in the reviews of the part, though.

Maybe now you have begun understanding why I have been so reluctant to talk about this issue.
There is a whole chain of parts designed based on the bad original assumption.

Is there a way out of this?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sloped Minifig Leg 3817b is wrong - by Magnus Forsberg - 2022-12-11, 14:05