Part file naming issues

RE: Part file naming issues
(2021-02-05, 16:10)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Why are you trying to build a database? Do you know of the program LDFind from Michael Heidemann.
https://www.ldraw.org/downloads-2/third-...tml#ldfind

In fact, I'm trying to collect all possible information about currently known LEGO parts and colours from various open sources, and the official LDraw library is just one of these sources. Unfortunately, this is not an easy task, because while there are multiple sources available, it looks like over years a lot of information discrepancies have accumulated here and there leading to that there seem to be no single source of truth at the moment.

Take the colour list, for example. Every single LEGO colour map on the internet I've come across has different information. Different LEGO codes, different names, different mappings to other sources.

I understand that many people have invested a huge amount of their time into collecting and sharing that information, and I'm immensely grateful to them, but unfortunately that information is inconsistent, and hence I'm trying to collect and analyse as much of it as possible with the ultimate goal of putting all reliable information into a single database.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the topic. As I said, I'm not a huge LEGO expert and, unlike most of LDraw users, am unaware of many of the LEGO-world peculiarities, which do shed some light on part naming.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 12:05
RE: Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 14:06
RE: Part file naming issues - by Denis - 2021-02-05, 17:29