Thinking about doing a LDCad 1.7 version

RE: Thinking about doing a LDCad 1.7 version
Hmm…what about a basic right triangle calculator? This is by far the most common calculation I make, to find the rotation angle of one part against a stationary surface. I don't know if it makes sense to add as part of the Selection Info tool, or perhaps as a macro. (This would probably be a perfect starter project if I ever decide to try some scripting!)

It would work like this—first you select three points:
  • The point ( A ) on a rotated part/assembly that will collide with the stationary surface
  • The rotation center ( B )
  • A point ( C ) orthogonal to the rotation center along the stationary surface

Point C gives us the X-value of point A after it's rotated; we need to find its Y-value (in this case). Because we know two sides of a right triangle, we can find the third side length, and move point C by that amount in the Y-direction.

Now that A-B and B-C are the same length, we can get the rotation angle to translate A to C.

Of course the second part of this already exists; it's just a matter of solving the right triangle to get the second coordinate for the rotated point.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about doing a LDCad 1.7 version - by N. W. Perry - 2020-05-05, 18:41