Bloat the library with shortcuts

RE: Bloat the library with shortcuts
(2019-10-17, 13:27)Willy Tschager Wrote: ...
and would like to discuss the usefulness of our shortcuts in general with a spot on applied sticker shortcuts.
I actually propose to obsolete the already official sticker shortcuts.

Hi,

I strongly disagree. Additionally I strongly disagree with introducing a new keyword for applying stickers.
Here are my reasons:

(1)
There is no new keyword for applying a sticker needed because we already have a syntax for that.
That is the normal "type 1" line which puts a sticker on a part.

(2)
Putting a sticker on a part is just an "implementation detail" to get a "pattern" onto that part.
In some cases, LEGO decided to print it directly onto the part,
in some cases, LEGO decided to create a sticker instead.
For an end user of LDRAW it does not really matter how the colors get onto a part, he just builds with the bricks we provide.

(3)
For that reason, having the "d01, d02, d03, ..." shortcuts which provide a "part+sticker" assembly
is the same clutter as if we would have "p01, p02, p03, ..." files providing a pattern.
The fact that LEGO decided to make a sticker instead of a pattern is not our fault.
The number of parts for a builder is the same.

(4)
I do not feel the stickered parts to be clutter. I frequently need and use them in my building,
and I do not want to search for stickers separately. Usually I normally do not know if some image I see
is a sticker or a pattern print. I just choose the right brick from the brick preview.

keep enjoying the holidays Smile Smile
Steffen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bloat the library with shortcuts - by Steffen - 2019-12-27, 16:02