Same color overlapping legal?

RE: Same color overlapping legal?
(2016-11-09, 13:13)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 22:13)Tore Eriksson Wrote: I'm pretty sure I've asked this before many years ago, but my memory is not getting better.
Is it "legal" to let the polygons in a pattern overlap? Of course you can't allow this with different colors, that would look terrible. If I can use primitives in a pattern instead of handmade polygons, the result will look smoother. But if I can't do it without overlapping, is there any reason to disallow this method? I can't see that it would affect the quality in any way, but that hasn't stopped the leaders of the LDraw community from issuing standards rules before.

I would hold such a part. When reworking part from the past I remove all these overlapping rings for two reasons:

* Polycount
* Broken mesh which could led to rendering artefacts. Read http://www.ldraw.org/article/218.html#lt4

w.

Thanks for the pointer. Seems we don't read the same text the same way. "Co-planar polygons (line types 3 and 4) may overlap only if they are the same colour. Any such overlap must be kept to a minimum as it affects the render quality of transparent parts."  As I interpret it, that makes it fully legal and no reason for hold votes. No transperent parts are involved, and polycount has never been an issue before when remaking parts.

But ok, if you prefer poorer quality, I'll keep my better but overlapping version in my private library and submit an egdier for the official.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Same color overlapping legal? - by Tore Eriksson - 2016-11-09, 14:17