Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

RE: Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
(2016-05-25, 17:31)Roland Melkert Wrote: Actually I've been looking into apple laptops but a semi decent one would set me back 1100 euro. A windows Laptop would have twice the specs for that kind of money.

Also I'm thinking about starting LDCad 2.0 after 1.6 which I'm considering to Open Source from the get go. I'm just not sure if it will be C++ again (I'm also considering Python).

If all you want is a Mac, the least expensive way is with the Mac Mini, which starts at $499 in the US. However, that doesn't include any peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse), so it's definitely not a steal. And upgrading it from 4GB to 8GB RAM is an extra $100. If you were looking at Mac laptops as a possible do-everything laptop on which you planned to install Boot Camp, the price is definitely high.

Having said all that, I would be surprised if you could get a Windows laptop with comparable specs for a huge amount less; it's just that you have a lot less control over the specs of the Mac laptops. They all pretty much come with SSDs, which is great for performance, but bad for price. Many of them come with retina displays, which is also good for utility, but bad for price. And they tend to be very thin and light. The MacBook Air is definitely charging a premium for being thin and light, but it's now the least expensive Mac laptop. And as SSDs have come down in price SSD-based Mac laptops haven't come down comparably.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5) - by Travis Cobbs - 2016-05-25, 21:59