With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help

RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help
(2016-04-16, 18:35)Roland Melkert Wrote: SR3DBuilder and LDCad have part snapping and bricksmith is working on it I believe. Non of these (far as I  know) use collision detection though.

In LDCad snapping is disabled by default and I choose not to implement collision detection on purpose, see also:

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/faq#faq_ps2

Above is partially bias as I'm the author of LDCad.

I understand why snapping is preferred over collision detection.  With collision detection, you've got about 1000 triangles per part with only so much precision to their vertices.  Plus, let's not forget that it's not really collision detection - collision detection is for finding when and how two objects touched each other, not about finding when the static friction between two non-overlapping objects is greater than some particular applied force yet less than what a child could exert.

But what "degenerate" cases would you watch out for if you were to try to implement "collision detection"?

Above is partially leading as I've got an idea of how to do collision detection and am about to try my hand at it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help - by Paul Griffin - 2016-04-22, 23:15