Update for L3P Launcher (OSX)

Re: Update for L3P Launcher (OSX)
Aloha,

Jean-Philippe Ouellet Wrote:I am curious as to why you bundled the new applescript in an application which is launched by the old applescript file (incurring all the overhead of the data associated with the new application) instead of just modifying the old applescript file, but then again, I don't fully understand the idiosyncrasies of AppleScript.

The applescript would freeze otherwise. This was a quick fix for that.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet Wrote:From what I can gather, you created another application (Open in MegaPOV.app) which, as far as I can tell, is just a wrapper for another applescript (it has all the defining characteristics of an applescript that was just saved as an "Application" from AppleScript Editor) whose purpose appears to be to gather (from the L3PLauncher gui?) what pov files were created, and open those in MegaPOV.

Correct. I also modified its Info.plist to make it faceless.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet Wrote:Would it be possible to use normal sed instead of gsed?

Yes, I fixed that. The /usr/bin/sed works just fine, there was no need for gsed.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet Wrote:As a side note, the beauty of the old POV-Ray launching code was that (back on systems where POV-Ray still worked) it automatically rendered the model as soon as it was opened by POV-Ray. The MegaPPOV code you provided appears to me to primarily be a complicated way of obtaining the name of the file to open, and opening it in MegaPOV. Since its primary function is to open the file, and it doesn't do any gui-scripting of the opening application (as the old code did), I believe it should be opened with[...]

I believe the old POV-Ray launching code did not open the files, instead it opened the batch file dialog. I tried to get it to work the way you suggest (open and then render) but couldn't.

You are right, obtaining the path (not just the name, which would be relatively easy) of the file to open is complicated.

Also, I rather specify that MegaPOV be the application that opens the files. This is because to have MegaPOV work one must have the non-functioning POV-Ray installed, and if the user forgets to make MegaPOV the default application for POV files then we would run into a problem.

I made a cosmetic change to the L3P Launcher main window. Now, it says "send to MegaPOV when done".

Please re-download at <http://db.tt/1khsbeyK>. If it still does not work, please send me the content of the "L3P Output" window.

I will bundle everything, with the source code, when (if?) we get it working.

Mahalo,

Ramón
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Update for L3P Launcher (OSX) - by Ramón Figueroa-Centeno - 2011-11-30, 8:11