Standards for stud groups

Re: Standards for stud groups
So, from what I've read around here, in various files, and on the parts tracker, there seems to be two prevailing theories on the creation and usage of subparts. (Note, when I use the term "subpart", I'm using it generally to refer to any part referenced by another, whether they be in the S, P, or 48 files, and not the specific subpart file S.) The first theory is: subpart everything, it makes the files look cleaner. The second is: subpart only that which may be useful elsewhere, as this makes things more efficient.

Now, at least to me, your question frames this issue quite cleanly: Do we really NEED to make a subpart for all possible stud groups? Why should/would we want to? Would it be better to have fewer subparts? Which option is more optimal, in terms of both memory usage and loading speeds? Does having more subparts make part creation easier or harder?

I don't have the answers to these questions, but I do think it's important that they're discussed.

Final thought: Has anybody actually bothered to run tests on this to see what actual "cost" is for using subparts vs inlining? I hear tales "recursion indefinate" and from a programmer's point of view of making an optimally performing program, I shudder. I remember taking an optimization class back in college and while I don't remember much of it, I do remember that recursion=bad.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Standards for stud groups - by Tim Gould - 2011-11-15, 10:08
Re: Standards for stud groups - by Jude Parrill - 2011-11-15, 11:22
Re: Standards for stud groups - by Tim Gould - 2011-11-15, 22:17
Re: Standards for stud groups - by Chris Dee - 2011-11-23, 20:53
why stugs exist / scaling - by Steffen - 2011-12-09, 23:17
Re: why stugs exist / scaling - by Steffen - 2011-12-09, 23:58