Change to Third Party part policy

RE: Change to Third Party part policy
(2024-10-12, 9:46)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Some companies also provide parts packs on their webpage, with their own specific license, so it is up the the end user to include them on thier installation of the library.

All the cases discussed in previous thread.

TL;DR: If manufacturers of Third Party parts released own LDraw files under any other license than CC0 (Public Domain), such parts could not be included as Third Party parts into LDraw.org Parts Library.

For all other cases always needs to get permission from Third Party parts manufacturer before authoring their part for Parts Library.

But I still don't understand why parts provided by manufacturer under "CC BY 4.0" could not be merged into Parts Library directly, and why it requires to get a permission in such special case, as "CC BY 4.0" allows merging such parts into other assets under "CC BY 4.0", and the only requirement is to add manufacturer name into authors list.

(2024-10-09, 23:34)Orion Pobursky Wrote: In the case of an author releasing CC BY 4.0 parts on their own, they still cannot be added to the library unless that author agrees to our Contributor Agreement. Public domain files can be added under CC0.

TL;DR: If you didn't author the part or you didn't derive the part from an authorized source, you cannot submit it to the library.

If I would modify Third Party parts provided by manufacturer under "CC BY 4.0", derived files are the new work authored by me, and its legal for me to pull it on the Part Tracker if in the files original authors would be attributed too (that is what "CC BY 4.0" about).

So, its really disputable why works already released by authors under "CC BY 4.0" requires additional signing LDraw.org Contributor Agreement, as this agreement adds nothinig more than already is in "CC BY 4.0".

The only limitation is that such works license could not be changed to CC0 on PT.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Change to Third Party part policy - by Eugen - 2024-10-12, 10:21