Adding a file header.

RE: Adding a file header.
If you want to go that route, you should be aware that LDraw is more or less just an approximation to the real part and sometimes omits a few details which actually only have a function for manufacturing the element.

Unfortunately it is hard to give exact rules what should be omitted and what must not, so best look at some parts in the database and compare them to their real counterpart. 3001.dat (the classic 2x4 brick) for example misses the cavities under it's stud, the inner ribs and the 'thin wall supports' (included to save material on the inside).

I would say that the fillets you included along the top edge of the seastar as well as those in between it's limbs have too small of a radius to be regarded. Others might disagree here though, so take it just as a suggestion.

I am not sure if there are possibilities to do this more easily, but from a quick test I was not able to 'lower the resolution' of your parts by common LDraw tools. Unfortunately I am not that familiar with Inventor, so - do you have any options that would allow you for less polygons when exporting to .obj? I typically use FreeCAD when designing parts from scratch. It's exports (although not always too reliable) have a far more 'LDraw-compatible' resolution.

Hope that helps a bit,
br Chris
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Adding a file header. - by Nathanael Coyle - 2024-09-25, 14:37
RE: Adding a file header. - by Chris Böhnke - 2024-09-25, 16:58
RE: Adding a file header. - by Chris Böhnke - 6 hours ago