Elliptical torus-es?

RE: Elliptical torus-es?
(2023-12-13, 5:45)Willy Tschager Wrote: It's too early in the morning for maths, but those logos look really nice!

w.

Thanks. Smile At first I tried using 1-4 chords and n-discs for the flat G and O, but the result was some ugly, squashy triangles. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more elegant it looks with 1-8 variants!

By the way, these logos would be used for the underside of various early bricks (i.e., 1950s). There are several minor variations of the logo from that period: flat, rounded (though some look more bevelled than rounded), long G, short G, etc. So there will be the separate question of which, if any, of these are worth actually submitting to the library, since we don't usually get hung up on non-visible details.

But it's still a worthwhile exercise, since I think that any text-based patterns should employ primitives as much as possible, so that the text can be re-used and scaled up for other applications.

(2023-12-13, 8:30)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: With some drawbacks (flat area, variable width bevels) you can apply a similar method. Attached your file with my proposal for O. Far from perfect, but looks rather good...

Hmm, very nice…the flat area bothers me much, much less than a variable-width letter O would! Tongue And as I say, some of the photos I've seen of this logo look more bevelled than rounded anyway. And with condline shading in LDView, you really don't even notice the flatness.

I wonder if it is worth creating the full-circle version of these tori (since you have to create the inner one anyway)?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Elliptical torus-es? - by N. W. Perry - 2023-12-13, 2:02
RE: Elliptical torus-es? - by N. W. Perry - 2023-12-13, 14:35
RE: Elliptical torus-es? - by Magnus Forsberg - 2023-12-13, 16:23
RE: Elliptical torus-es? - by N. W. Perry - 2023-12-17, 4:41
RE: Elliptical torus-es? - by N. W. Perry - 2023-12-18, 4:40