One dapper torso

One dapper torso
Hey, I'm looking for this part, 973pb1596c01. I tried to use LDPE to it myself, but I couldn't get it to look right.

[Image: 973pb1596c01.png]
RE: One dapper torso
(2018-02-12, 6:35)Aimee Wrote: Hey, I'm looking for this part, 973pb1596c01. I tried to use LDPE to it myself, but I couldn't get it to look right.
Maybe you didn't use the right tool Wink
LDPE mainly targets creation of 3D shapes. The tool of choice for patterns is LDPatternCreator (which includes templates for torso patterns)
(2018-02-12, 8:14)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 6:35)Aimee Wrote: Hey, I'm looking for this part, 973pb1596c01. I tried to use LDPE to it myself, but I couldn't get it to look right.
Maybe you didn't use the right tool Wink
LDPE mainly targets creation of 3D shapes. The tool of choice for patterns is LDPatternCreator (which includes templates for torso patterns)

Thank you again Phillippe! Smile

OK, I've got this far, but when I export the pattern as a .DAT file, the front face of the torso is missing. How do I go forward from here?
(2018-02-18, 17:22)Aimee Wrote: OK, I've got this far, but when I export the pattern as a .DAT file, the front face of the torso is missing. How do I go forward from here?
Can you share the LPC file?
Edit: Looking mode closely at your image: you need to also fill in the background of the pattern with (color 16) triangles to get front face. That's probably what you mean with "front face of the torso is missing"...
(2018-02-18, 17:33)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-02-18, 17:22)Aimee Wrote: OK, I've got this far, but when I export the pattern as a .DAT file, the front face of the torso is missing. How do I go forward from here?
Edit: Looking mode closely at your image: you need to also fill in the background of the pattern with (color 16) triangles to get front face. That's probably what you mean with "front face of the torso is missing"...

This is the problem _every_ LDPatternCreator user faces at first usage:
it is quite frustrating to discover that you have finished a pattern, and after that are forced to even fill out that background area manually.

This is the #1 feature missing in LDPatternCreator: click into an area and have it filled with triangles.

As already asked for here:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22210-po...l#pid25645
(2018-02-18, 17:33)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:

Thanks, can I go over the border or does it have to be the precise shape of the outline?
(2018-02-18, 19:22)Aimee Wrote: Thanks, can I go over the border or does it have to be the precise shape of the outline?
It has to be precise, and preferably anchored only on the outline vertices. Cheer up!
(2018-02-18, 17:22)Aimee Wrote: OK, I've got this far

For a first pattern in LDPC this is a remarkable work, well done. I'd say - if critics is allowed - that it has even too much detail. Consider also to enclose the buttons ( say discs and rings) in X-Xndis.dat (negative discs) via Add Primitive -> LDraw Primitives -> Inverse of Circular Disc Sector. Check out 973pw4.dat - Minifig Torso with Sheriff Pattern.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-02-18, 19:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-02-18, 19:22)Aimee Wrote: Thanks, can I go over the border or does it have to be the precise shape of the outline?
It has to be precise, and preferably anchored only on the outline vertices. Cheer up!

I'm fine! Big Grin
(2018-02-19, 0:23)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2018-02-18, 17:22)Aimee Wrote: OK, I've got this far

For a first pattern in LDPC this is a remarkable work, well done. I'd say - if critics is allowed - that it has even too much detail. Consider also to enclose the buttons ( say discs and rings) in X-Xndis.dat (negative discs) via Add Primitive -> LDraw Primitives -> Inverse of Circular Disc Sector. Check out 973pw4.dat - Minifig Torso with Sheriff Pattern.

w.

It's alright. I really hope it never needs subdividing though, the triangulation is pretty horrible in places. And thank god it's all on one plane, the phong shading would be wild :9
UPDATE: With some help, I've managed to do the front side. I'm unsure as to how to add the back side, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering it's my first part.

Attached Files
.png   torso1.png (Size: 38.5 KB / Downloads: 114)
(2018-02-19, 8:21)Aimee Wrote: UPDATE: With some help, I've managed to do the front side. I'm unsure as to how to add the back side, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering it's my first part.

My approach is this:
1. Draw the front Pattern with LDPC using the 973 template
2. Export as DAT --> Project on the XY plane (-Z, front)
3. Draw the back Pattern using the 973 template
4. Export as DAT --> Project on the XY plane (+Z, back)
5. Open the front .dat file in LPPE
6. Open the back .dat file in LPPE
7. Delete the back side in the front .dat file
8. Copy the back side .dat into the front .dat
9. Save the .dat file with the right part number

I hope it can help you.

Regards Johann
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2018-02-19, 8:21)Aimee Wrote: UPDATE: With some help, I've managed to do the front side. I'm unsure as to how to add the back side, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering it's my first part.

Great looking design.
Would you please consider becoming a registered part author and share your part?
Please read and follow the instructions here.
Don't forget the color of the neck mark.
Check BFC
Run through Datheader.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-02-19, 21:03)Johann Eisner Wrote:

My approach is this:
1. Draw the front Pattern with LDPC using the 973 template

Super! Thanks.
You did a very good job!

Currently, I am a little bit busy... but I promise that I'll release an improved LDPatternCreator (LPC) version this year.
I have also plans for new LDPE updates, documentation and tutorials (I really need to do that).
(2018-02-19, 22:09)Magnus Forsberg Wrote:

Great looking design.
Would you please consider becoming a registered part author and share your part?
Please read and follow the instructions here.

I don't know if it's good enough, but the part is here:

Attached Files
.lpc   973pb1596c01 As part.lpc (Size: 262.69 KB / Downloads: 8)
.dat   973pb1596c01.dat (Size: 57.94 KB / Downloads: 6)
(2018-02-20, 21:01)Nils Schmidt Wrote: You did a very good job!

Currently, I am a little bit busy... but I promise that I'll release an improved LDPatternCreator (LPC) version this year.
I have also plans for new LDPE updates, documentation and tutorials (I really need to do that).

Thank you! It's good software, once I figured it out Wink
Looks pretty good! Just two things:
- There is a very thin, unmatched triangle on the left side of middle of knot
- Part naming doesn't match LDraw nomenclature. Should be 973pd25.
For the curvy parts of a pattern get a try on:

Add primitive... -> Create a spline...

w.
LEGO ergo sum
[quote pid='27856' dateline='1519223260']
Add primitive... -> Create a spline...
[/quote]
...but you mileage may vary. I don't like this tool that much (rather clumsy usage I find) Wink
(2018-02-21, 14:12)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Looks pretty good! Just two things:
- There is a very thin, unmatched triangle on the left side of middle of knot
- Part naming doesn't match LDraw nomenclature. Should be 973pd25.

Oh! I didn't see that brown triangle. Thanks for pointing it out. Angel
(2018-02-21, 12:48)Aimee Wrote: I don't know if it's good enough, but the part is here:

Hello Aimee,

May I upload your part to the Part Tracker?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »