Search parts in a model

Search parts in a model
Feature request of the day:

I was trying to search my model for a specific part (either by part number or part of the description) in a specific color but couldn't. Tried to work around by using the history part usage but there are just uncolored versions. Tried to us Select in the Parts Project Window but it is to generic. Found further out that adding my set to the "Part listings of lego (sic!) sets" is a pain in the ass - beside the fact that it's an uncolored inventory.

To make it short you cannot search for a part in a set - or I was simply too dumb for it.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Search parts in a model
(2017-12-08, 14:48)Willy Tschager Wrote: Feature request of the day:

I was trying to search my model for a specific part (either by part number or part of the description) in a specific color but couldn't. Tried to work around by using the history part usage but there are just uncolored versions. Tried to us Select in the Parts Project Window but it is to generic. Found further out that adding my set to the "Part listings of lego (sic!) sets" is a pain in the ass - beside the fact that it's an uncolored inventory.

To make it short you cannot search for a part in a set - or I was simply too dumb for it.

w.
You mean with LDCad I guess? What I generally do is to add a part of the type I want to search (and color if needed) then select -> same part (and color). If the model contains submodels, use nested mode. To see deeply embedded parts, select -> invert then hide.
...but maybe I didn't understood correctly your problem...
(2017-12-08, 15:19)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-12-08, 14:48)Willy Tschager Wrote: Feature request of the day:

w.
You mean with LDCad I guess? What I generally do is to add a part of the type I want to search (and color if needed) then select -> same part (and color). If the model contains submodels, use nested mode. To see deeply embedded parts, select -> invert then hide.
...but maybe I didn't understood correctly your problem...

I also use the Invert/Hide but didn't think of the "add a part of the type I want to search".

Well also the "All parts used in the current model" in the "Model overview" pin could work as search but the "Locate selection" does apparently locate in the part bin ... actually I have no idea what it is supposed to do, behaves strangely ... probably broken. I Found out: Select a part in your model, go the appropriate category in the part bin and select "Locate selection" ... the part gets highlighted in the subgroup.

OOOOOKay. Sorry Roland but to me this is the wrong contextual menu for such a command. I select the part in the model and would expect to find that command in the "Selection" contextual menu of the 3D/2D view ... beside that it is pretty useless 'cos I have to navigate to the appropriate category in the part bin first. Using it on the "Library sorted by function" or "Library sorted by category" produces a "Part xxx is not present in the part bin" ... which is simply wrong!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I mostly agree with you Wink I know this function, bet never found it useful!
(2017-12-08, 15:51)Willy Tschager Wrote: I also use the Invert/Hide but didn't think of the "add a part of the type I want to search".
Well also the "All parts used in the current model" in the "Model overview" pin could work as search but the "Locate selection" does apparently locate in the part bin ... actually I have no idea what it is supposed to do, behaves strangely ... probably broken. I Found out: Select a part in your model, go the appropriate category in the part bin and select "Locate selection" ... the part gets highlighted in the subgroup.
Actually there is indeed a bug related with searching in the "all parts used in the current model" bin but that only concerns searching for e.g. "2x4" (without the spaces).

As for the locate selection in part bin feature I'm not happy with that myself it's a bit of a side effect of having the library presented in multiple ways inside the same window. I could (also) add the feature to the selection menu though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »