LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[Suggestion] Curve the npeghole primitives - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Official File Specifications/Standards (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: [Suggestion] Curve the npeghole primitives (/thread-26267.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

[Suggestion] Curve the npeghole primitives - Max Murtazin - 2022-04-23

One thing that was bothering me for the all time I was using LDraw-powered software, and especially after I started making parts for the repository, is that the npegholes are very oddly unsmoothed. It doesn't look good, it is not accurate, and requires not that much work to do. Maybe update this set of primitives to make corners a bit rounded?

RE: [Suggestion] Cure the npeghole primitives - Orion Pobursky - 2022-04-24

(2022-04-23, 21:11)Max Murtazin Wrote: One thing that was bothering me for the all time I was using LDraw-powered software, and especially after I started making parts for the repository, is that the npegholes are very oddly unsmoothed. It doesn't look good, it is not accurate, and requires not that much work to do. Maybe update this set of primitives to make corners a bit rounded?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

RE: [Suggestion] Cure the npeghole primitives - Max Murtazin - 2022-04-24

(2022-04-24, 12:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

Currently it is like this (npegholes, those carvings between connection holes), with sharp ends
[Image: unknown.png]

And I suggest to make it more like this, to make it have more curved edges
[Image: unknown.png]

Your images are broken but I think I understand.

We've had the same debate for click hinges and the round/half round 1x1 tiles. My counter point would be that these small rounded edges at a lot of triangles for a feature that is only visible at close zoom levels. Also, developers are free to use primitive substitution to render them with "higher res".

My person opinion is more of the latter and less of the former.

Is it that much significant, tho? Modern PCs (something from last 5-6 years) can easily handle pretty extreme polygon counts. Polygon number increase from this for sure will be big, but not exponential. Not something that is a real game changer to make new version of primitives impossible to use. Axle primitives got updated not so long ago, and polygon increase was way more dramatic for those, than what is necessary to have smooth npegholes

I totally agree about triangle count but others care about that more than me. 

Also, now that the images are loading, I didn't understand what you meant. That said, if you want to change, you probably have to do it yourself including researching what parts have that shape but don't use the primitive so you can either update to use it or change it so it conforms. If you're up to the task,  you have my encouragement to do this.

(2022-04-24, 19:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I totally agree about triangle count but others care about that more than me. 

Also, now that the images are loading, I didn't understand what you meant. That said, if you want to change, you probably have to do it yourself including researching what parts have that shape but don't use the primitive so you can either update to use it or change it so it conforms. If you're up to the task,  you have my encouragement to do this.

I will post tomorrow more informative pictures, as well as primitives, looks like that would be more helpful to the topic

RE: [Suggestion] Cure the npeghole primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-04-25

(2022-04-23, 21:11)Max Murtazin Wrote: One thing that was bothering me for the all time I was using LDraw-powered software, and especially after I started making parts for the repository, is that the npegholes are very oddly unsmoothed. It doesn't look good, it is not accurate, and requires not that much work to do. Maybe update this set of primitives to make corners a bit rounded?
I agree that current situation is far from perfect (it's even worse for 90° angled beams where the npegholes join together), but changing this is rather daunting, as these elements are often embedded in part structure. The 90° situation was so bad that I already created npeghol17 with cut corners to address the problem in Technic baseplate (https://www.ldraw.org/parts/official-part-lookup.html?folder=parts&partid=39369)
...Or we could go the other direction and completely remove beam npegholes like LEGO does in his building instructions! Big Grin

RE: [Suggestion] Cure the npeghole primitives - Max Murtazin - 2022-04-25

(2022-04-25, 6:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I agree that current situation is far from perfect (it's even worse for 90° angled beams where the npegholes join together), but changing this is rather daunting, as these elements are often embedded in part structure. The 90° situation was so bad that I already created npeghol17 with cut corners to address the problem in Technic baseplate (https://www.ldraw.org/parts/official-part-lookup.html?folder=parts&partid=39369)
...Or we could go the other direction and completely remove beam npegholes like LEGO does in his building instructions! Big Grin

I think I didn't completely understand wdym, could you elaborate please a bit? Only thing I think I got is that some new parts have problem of old npeghole primitives having overlapping esges

RE: [Suggestion] Cure the npeghole primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-04-25

(2022-04-25, 7:34)Max Murtazin Wrote: I think I didn't completely understand wdym, could you elaborate please a bit? Only thing I think I got is that some new parts have problem of old npeghole primitives having overlapping esges
Not only new parts, but also some venerable ones like this one: