LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Rubber arrow helper and more arrows - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Rubber arrow helper and more arrows (/thread-24732.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Rubber arrow helper and more arrows - Milan Vančura - 2021-07-15

Just to make it clear:

The rubber arrow definition is LDCAD specific but I want to add it's building parts into the library anyway so the LDCAD metadata file for rubber arrow may point to them (arrow_tip, arrow_body). Then, anybody, in any program, can construct arrows from using these (sub-)parts, just manually or using features of his program.

Static arrows, which we want to include in the ldraw  library, are easier from this POV. And as I'm not an experienced part author, I'm ready for your advice about technical details. The goal is to have 2D part with no visible edges, OK for all ldraw programs to render. If it's OK for programs to render parts with no edges, we can make arrows in this way. But is it? (LDCAD, LDView, blacksmith, LPub3D internal viewer, other programs...)

What I want to include in this category - see attached zip archive:

1. a set of (static) straight arrows - Willy's set
2. a flat circle arrows ("rotation"): 90, 180 and 270 degrees - Willy's set
3. motion describing arrow ("fat ones"): one-way straight, two-way straight, rotation - Jaco's set
4. arrow_tip and arrow_body mentioned above
5. tick and cross marks - I have found some, authored "GL" EDIT: Gerald Lasser

Motion arrows and mark signs need more work: they are in ldr format, we need to convert them to dat files (not sure what this means, if anything). And they have a part origin somewhere strange, this should be fixed.

Motion arrows are with edges - remove them, too? I'm not 100% sure with these. Maybe these ones look better with edges.

A small example (current versions of helpers, no rubber one):

(2021-07-14, 14:20)Willy Tschager Wrote: I started a discussion in the SteerCo section.

w.

Thank you. SteerCo section is not public, it seems, so I added more details to this thread - about what I want to include to the helpers category and why. Please, forward this info to your discussion if needed.

RE: Rubber arrow helper and more arrows - Magnus Forsberg - 2021-07-15

(2021-07-15, 7:39)Milan Vančura Wrote: Just to make it clear:

The rubber arrow definition ....

And when you write "rubber arrow" you mean a user bendable, flexible arrow?
Could you please make an example image of such an arrow?

(2021-07-15, 14:23)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: And when you write "rubber arrow" you mean a user bendable, flexible arrow?
Could you please make an example image of such an arrow?

Sure, this is what we discussed with Roland at the beginning of this thread: LDCAD allows users to create flexible, bendable objects (hoses etc.), I used this feature and, beside those static subparts (arrow_tip and arrow_body), I created also the LDCAD definition file for flexible arrow creation.

Users can bend the arrow both in a plane and in 3D space, a picture tells more - I added three flexible arrows: top left blue one is "flat", the other blue one (top right, around axle) and red one are bent in 3D space, you can also see how the arrow goes through a hole in a part.

RE: Rubber arrow helper and more arrows - Milan Vančura - 2021-07-24

(2021-07-14, 14:20)Willy Tschager Wrote: I started a discussion in the SteerCo section.

w.

Willy, what's the result, please? Or should I help anyhow? Or just wait? Smile
How can I know the result of this private discussion?