LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) (/thread-14363.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-11-02

After two beta's I think 1.4 is stable enough to justify a definitive version, so here you go.

I've fixed all the issues reported in the beta 2 thread and some direct mails. I've also implemented a few small changes suggested in those same sources.

No big changes (besides the 17 bug fixes Smile ) otherwise, just:
  • Missing files dialog (disabled by default)
  • Edge anti alias (disabled by default as I'm not a big fan of aa myself)
  • Reorganized the selection menu hoping to make it more intuitive.

Like always you can get the newest version from www.melkert.net/LDCad/download

Here's a preview of the edge AA, in means of an OpenGL export without it and one with it enabled

And somewhat unrelated to 1.4 I also made a short tutorial clip showing how to work with the flexible part templates.

With this version I'm closing the book on 1.4 in order to get started with 1.5. In which I'm hoping to extend the animation and scripting possibilities, and it will also introduce detachable/floating bins (default gui will remain visually identical though)

Have fun

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Orion Pobursky - 2014-11-02

I'm really excited about the animation stuf but I really don't feel like rebooting my machine into windows. Any hope for an OSX version? If your compiling for Linux, OSX shouldn't be to hard. If it's a lack of hardware, I'll willingly volunteer to do test compiles.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-11-03

well...

Good news: LDCad uses wxWidgets for the os dependent gui layer, which has a OSX version. and I'm fairly sure the other libraries I use (freetype, boost, lua) are also osx compatible.

Bad news: I kinda gave up on an apple version some time ago as they seem to actively hamper people creating free software for mac's etc by forcing registration and making it impossible to (legally) run an osx VM on windows/linux etc.

But your post made me revisit the cross compiling approach, which led me to this gcc tool chain I'm willing to give this tool a try next weekend or so as compiling on a new platform usually is an adventure on it's own Smile.

In the meantime you could go the other way around, by running Linux in a VM on your osx. I don't know if parallels has decent OpenGL performance but besides that LDCad should run just fine on most Linux (e.g. suse, kubuntu, ubuntu etc) live iso's, so no further installation is needed to take a look inside a vm.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Travis Cobbs - 2014-11-03

I just tried the 64 bit Linux version with Ubuntu 14.04 x64 running under the current version of Parallels, and performance seemed fine. I also tried the Windows version running in a Windows 8.1 VM under Parallels, and that performed fine also. (Speaking of that, is there a reason there's no 64-bit Windows version?)

Having said that, if you don't already have a VM set up, then it's an awful lot of work just to run one app. My Windows 8.1 VM is VM-only; I don't have Boot Camp configured on my Mac at all. It is my understanding that if you do have Boot Camp set up, you can configure Parallels to run that Windows without having a separate VM, but only some Windows versions have a license that supports that. (My OEM copy of Windows 8 that I got with the Mac to use in Parallels doesn't have such a license.)

From my past experiences with OpenGL in Linux in VirtualBox, I strongly suspect that the performance there would be lacking. LDView performance sucked rocks in VirtualBox, but isn't bad in Parallels. (Ubuntu desktop performance sucked rocks in VirtualBox, too, the last time I checked.)

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2014-11-03

Quote:(disabled by default as I'm not a big fan of aa myself)
Can you elaborate on this? I find display looks better with it... Performance penalty?
Quote:And somewhat unrelated to 1.4 I also made a short tutorial clip showing how to work with the flexible part templates.
Thanks for this, helpful! What's the purpose of DYNHP mode? something more than transparency?

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Merlijn Wissink - 2014-11-03

[This shouldn't be a reply to philo's post...]

Nice. As I said before, I really like LDCad. I wish I started using it earlier Wink

In my "quest" to build the Tumbler to really get to know LDCad, I found a few things so far, which can be improved (in my opinion):
  • When using a custom grid orientation (if it's called like that, when I press "o"), copy/pasting of parts gets screwed up. I guess, it's because it doesn't copy the new grid orientation.
  • LDCad uses the tags AUTHOR and NAME, but it would be better if it uses the tags Author: and Name: . Notice the : and the upper/lower case. It may sound useless, but that's the way the official standard says it should be. And, other software is sometimes unable to identify that AUTHOR is the same as Author: (like MPDcenter).

I'm sure I'll find a few more things, but that would probably just usability things, because so far, I haven't found any bugs (except if you cound the first point above as a bug...).

Quote:Can you elaborate on this? I find display looks better with it... Performance penalty?
Personally I think it makes things somewhat blurry in certain conditions. It also messes with your transparent background if any. And it seems to increase Z-fighting on lines currently in the selected color.
Performance wise it shouldn't really matter as I'm using the extremely cheap smooth lines AA baked into OpenGL itself.

Quote:What's the purpose of DYNHP mode? something more than transparency?
DYNHP stands for "give DYNamic part gui stuff Hotracking Priority" (might need a better name Smile ) it's useful in situations where the bezier control point end up inside the tube skin or something, in the older versions you wouldn't be able to select/adjust them in those cases.

Quote:When using a custom grid orientation (if it's called like that, when I press "o"), copy/pasting of parts gets screwed up. I guess, it's because it doesn't copy the new grid orientation.
It's dependent on the copy past options (prefs/edit) as the info is placed on the clipboard using abs coordinates, but pasted on tup of the grid orientation (thus rotating twice in your case). You can prevent that by ether choosing always (or yes) for the "The selection has rotational information......" for copy action or by setting the "The main part on the clipboard has rotat....." to always (or yes). Also if your copy pasting inside LDCad it self you probably better of just using the ins key as it clones the selection no matter t's orientation.

Quote:it would be better if it uses the tags Author: and Name:
For some reason I could have sworn the all caps version where the (old?) standard. But you are right it should use the human friendly format. I'll change this in the next version as I was planning to extend the header dialog meta's anyway.

Quote:I'm sure I'll find a few more things, but that would probably just usability things, because so far, I haven't found any bugs
All suggestions are welcome, as I tend to set things up (as defaults) the way I like it myself so I'm sure there are many things I wouldn't even think about without some pointers Smile

Thanks for testing Travis.

Quote:Speaking of that, is there a reason there's no 64-bit Windows version?
Well I can compile a 64 bit version if needed, but at the moment I don't have a nice setup solution for it. I'm also a bit unclear on the License mingw64 uses. It differs from the the 32 bit stuff on it's threading component, I have to look into that some more as I statically link to it and all.

Just gave it a low prio as the 32 bit version has no current problems only solvable with a 64 bit version (for example even datsville only uses ~500MB mem), the 64 bit version does run a bit faster rendering wise though.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2014-11-04

1.4 is great so far. I just love being able to hover over the parts bin tabs and see what I've filtered them to, that's so nice now. Thanks for the quick update on that one.

Question: I did something wrong in a sub file. I need to go into nested view in the sub file to select just one part. Normally I only have to go into nested to change a sub file part when in the main file. For some reason though I need to do the same, only in one of my subs though. I don't know what that grouping behavior is called but can I undo it somehow?

Oh and copying over my main.gui file with my changes worked great for this revision bump. I imagine for 1.5 it'll be a different story though huh?