LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) (/thread-12126.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-02-01

I've might have gone overboard with the options, I'll try to describe them below. Similar information will be added to the main site at some point.

Basics

Part: Donor ldraw file, must be findable by LDCad for generating the part, must be supplied with the model if placement is static or dynamic for other software.

Color: Donor part color, if non 16 it might also cause a split of the part into multiple subparts depending on other skin section colors.

Rotation is the initial transformation (no scaling, must be pure rotation) on the donor part.

sizes:

Basesize is the scaling over the y-axis (after rotation) to get the base size to use for placement.

Segmentsize is the space occupied on the curve, usually this is 100% but you could set it to a static value to force overlap (e.g. in chains).

Tolerance is the amount of stretching allowed to fit the base sized donor on the segment. This is used to close gaps resulting from leftover space.

segments:

Groupid is used to group multiple skin sections, when non zero skin with the same id are alternated per segment.

Count is the number of segment to use with this skin, zero means auto/unlimited.

max merge controls joining segments of the same skin when they are (more or less) inline with each other. A limit is sometimes needed to prevent noticeable misalignment over long lengths.

edges controls what to do with overlapping edges on the outer y axis of the donor. By default the left (+Y) ones on the donor are dropped except for the first segment. The option is only applied when placement is deform.

Donorcenter:

Center lets you choose what position of the donor to use for final placements on the curve.

Offset lets you set an Y offset on the above position.

Donorplacement:

Type selects the method of generation, static uses the calculated matrix for segments, dynamic will interpolate the rotation at the placements (curve) position, deform will generate type 2...5 lines from the donor mesh to smooth out the donor over the curve.

Inline donor references will try to copy type 1 lines from the donor instead of referring the donor file it self. Only used for static and dynamic placement.

Final scale will be used to stretch/shrink the donor to the real segment size, usually this means applying the tolerance from the size options on the base size.

Alignment determent how to to place the donor (position chosen in the previous panel) on the curve, it uses a relative notation meaning 0 is no change and -1 move full length to left.

Hope this is somewhat clear.

Thanks,

At the moment supporting Linux is almost 'free' cause the binaries still work with the newer distributions (I'm compiling in Ubuntu 10).

I'm expecting it to stay that way as long they keep supplying GTK2 alongside GTK3 in Ubuntu etc. If not I'll probably have to upgrade to GTK3 at some point.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-02-01

Roland Melkert Wrote:I'm thinking the simplist solution would be to allow the user to set the internal resolution, setting it to 16 in the case of this chain should fix every thing.

If I may add another feature request, for paths with a fixed number of segments, I'd like being able to add the end cap part wherever the skinned portion ends, and not at the final path point. This would help creating the arm in the attached model, for instance. And corner points would allow creating the other one.

(I just noticed, too, that the rotation center for the end cap is not automatically the end point, shouldn't it be?)

It's fun to see someone else creating parts, hope it's somewhat 'easy'.

Ignacio Fernandez Galvan Wrote:Can I convince LDCad to include the needed unofficial donor parts in the mpd file?

Donors are searched for using the normal LDraw search rules, so if you add a donor to the mpd it should work. At the moment there is no option to embed the parts in a mpd using LDCad it self. But it should be as easy as a copy paste using e.g. notepad or by using a tool like MPDCenter.

I will add a collection of mpd manipulation tools (e.g. sel to submodel, incl unoff parts, etc) at some point.

Yes I wanted that myself at some point, problem is it's somewhat outside the current way of doing things. You might be able to solve it by adding the cap as a non scaling static skin section.

As for the rotation center of the ends, it depends on the (auto) group. The order used is anchor>cap>point . So to force a non cap center as end center you have to add a path anchor (you'll find it in the 'misc special parts' (top level, crossed picture) part bin group)

Did a little test, and you can get it to work using a static skin section, like so:

edit (thought png would inline automatic ?)

Roland Melkert Wrote:Yes I wanted that myself at some point, problem is it's somewhat outside the current way of doing things. You might be able to solve it by adding the cap as a non scaling static skin section.

That helps with the end piece, but I can't do that with the claws if I want to be able to open/close them (without manually changing the rotation matrix), can I? Unless I create a submodel with the claws, and use that as skin donor... yes, that seems to work Smile

Yes, it helps, thank you.

So the merge limit is already controlling some kind of adaptive resolution, but there's no way to set the threshold for merging, is there? I think a hose such as the one attached might benefit from a smaller donor size, and a larger merge threshold or whatever.

Joining will only be applied on the segment level, current version will join when the angle between two segments is less then 0.001 RAD, I could make that an option but I don't think it will help with the example hose.

I usually decrease the basesize if very tight corners are involved, but this will also increase file size when using deform, so on longer hoses it's probably best to use two skin sections one with a low base size for the sharp bend at the beginning and one with a normal base size for the rest.

I'm playing with the idea to somewhat have similar behavior based upon some sort of split option, which will be sort of an inverse join option.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-02-02

Funny problem. When I try to open a file in the current directory from the command line, LDCad crashes, but if I open a file in a subdirectory (or if I include "./" before the filename), then all is fine.

This is Ubuntu 12.04.