LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) (/thread-12126.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-29

I might add a template for the pneu hose without the ends. But you can easily make that one your self, just place a normal pneumatic hose and remove it's caps afterwards. Don't forget to ungroup them first.

A bendable plain axle shouldn't be to hard to make yourself ether. You could use (a copy of) the existing flex system hose template and replace it's skin donors after placement.

If you want certain custom made template's to appear in the bin, create files for them and place them at a location that is part of the 'user templates locations' list dialog (prefs/ldraw)

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-29

Roland Melkert Wrote:I might add a template for the pneu hose without the ends. But you can easily make that one your self, just place a normal pneumatic hose and remove it's caps afterwards. Don't forget to ungroup them first.

That's what I did for the moment, but without the end cap there is no... well, cap. There's no surface or edge lines at the end of the hose. I'd need a replacement for 165.dat, a non-stretched hose end.

Quote:A bendable plain axle shouldn't be to hard to make yourself ether. You could use (a copy of) the existing flex system hose template and replace it's skin donors after placement.

I'll try, sure, I just didn't want to waste my time in case you already had it planned Wink

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-29

Quote:That's what I did for the moment, but without the end cap there is no... well, cap. There's no surface or edge lines at the end of the hose. I'd need a replacement for 165.dat, a non-stretched hose end.

If you have a suitable part handy you could use those as caps or extra skin sections (like the flex hose).

A suitable part only needs the base cylinder(s) and a donut surface. You could create a donor part for it (see the donors folder of LDCad for examples)

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-30

Roland Melkert Wrote:I'm not sure what you mean, the stepping is used to describe the path around all points (bezier and circle a like). Internally the point info is converted to a array of positions and the distance between them is always the grid stepping. So when you set that distance equal to the skin size, it will map perfectly cause the curve section length is equal to the the link (straight) length.

Maybe a picture helps. Suppose you have a setup with two wheels, such that there are three links per full turn (just to exaggerate the differences). The initial circle is 1, and the initial link is "a" (then "b", "c"...).

Will the chain be created as is the top case? This is more realistic (for chains, at least), but more difficult to compute, I guess. It would also need more care from the user, to set the relative rotation of the different circles correctly (rotate circle 2 only and the chain would break, but a different distance between the circles would need different rotation).

Or will it be done as in the bottom case, by trying to follow the "ideal" path in discrete steps?

[Image: chain.png]

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-30

I see,

All paths (circle, bezier and combo's alike) use the bottom method.

It will first calculate points along the circle, belt, bezier parts etc using varying of (high) precision. Then later all points in the full path are converted/reduced to the equal stepping mentioned before using interpolation where needed.

The equal stepping is needed so I can easily calculate how to spread the skin sections etc.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-30

Roland Melkert Wrote:A suitable part only needs the base cylinder(s) and a donut surface. You could create a donor part for it (see the donors folder of LDCad for examples)

I just realized that the hose has no inner surface either. So I took the liberty to:

a) add an inner surface to the hose segment donor.
b) create a donor for the unattached hose end.
c) create a template for a hose with unattached ends.

Here are the files. Feel free to modify/rename/include them in future releases.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-30

Thanks,

The pneuhose donor doesn't have internals cause I figured you never see it and it will bloat the fallback code considerable. But it might be useful if you want to use transparent hoses.

you could also use the full ones for e.g. 5 segments at the ends and the slim ones for the middle if you want the endings to be realistic in cases where the hose doesn't connect to something.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2014-02-01

Wow, impressive update. Again the Linux support is so much appreciated.

Thank You

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-02-01

Roland Melkert Wrote:A bendable plain axle shouldn't be to hard to make yourself ether. You could use (a copy of) the existing flex system hose template and replace it's skin donors after placement.

And here is a template for a bendable rigid axle. It's scaled and positioned to be a direct replacement of the plain 8-axle (3707).

Again, modify at wish if you think it's worth including in the official LDCad.

EDIT: Maybe it's better like this, with the end pieces truly rigid, since the axle is probably inserted somewhere.

EDIT 2: Can I convince LDCad to include the needed unofficial donor parts in the mpd file?

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-02-01

Could you provide more detailed information about what the different skin parameters mean?

And is it possible to some kind of adaptive resolution, such that a new segment is only added when the angle with the previous one exceeds some tolerance value?