LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) (/thread-12126.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-18

Time flies, just three months after 1.2 I'm proud to release version 1.3

It's major new features are:
  • Basic part snapping on (growing) subset of parts
  • Spring generation
  • Closed loop paths (e.g. rubber band)
  • Part ghosting

I'm very proud on the part snapping but I feel it isn't just good enough so I kept it disabled by default for now. You can enable it at anytime using the compass or shift+p

Please note snapping works only on a selected group of parts. This because extra information is needed for it to work. I've input this information for over 700 .dat files. this results in full information for all parts in the following bin groups:
  • The 'Plain bricks', 'Pat. bricks' and 'normal plates' under sorted/bricks
  • The 'Axles', 'Beams and liftarms', 'Bricks', 'Connectors and pins', 'Gears', 'Plates', 'Pneumatic', 'Shocks' groups under sorted/technic
  • It also includes the power function template related parts.

You can download the latest version as per usual from the main site

I've also created a youtube clip which demonstrates most new features.

And finally some screenshots featuring the new example models:

[Image: 1-3-B1-ForumScrShot1.png]

[Image: 1-3-B1-ForumScrShot2.png]

Hope you all like the new version, if you have any comments / questions let me know.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Michael Horvath - 2014-01-19

Are the new camera modes coming any time soon?

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-19

It's on the todo for beta 2, but I'm not completely sure yet about it's shape and/or form. It won't be locking options for the trackball though, I've tried that and did not like it.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Michael Horvath - 2014-01-20

What do you mean by 'trackball'?

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-20

The current camera system uses a trackball. I wanted to add optional locking so it behaves more like e.g. LDD but I did not like how that turned out.

So I'm planning to add a second dedicated (LDD like) camera system so the user can choose to use that one instead of the trackball. I think this is more user friendly then stacks of sub options which could act weird in certain combinations/circumstances (e.g. locking y while y isn't pointing vertical)

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Michael Horvath - 2014-01-21

I don't remember how the LDD camera works. I've only used it once or twice.

I suppose it could become difficult to determine where the camera should 'snap' to when there is gimbal lock.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-25

Great thing the grouping (it was in 1.2, but I'm a bit late). But the groups are not saved, or am I doing something wrong? I guess it's not trivial to have a syntax that works with non-contiguous (in the model file) parts.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-25

And regarding the closed paths (in particular Technic chains, like "Technic chain tread 17 (closed)"), is it possible to change the phase (rotate the whole chain forward/backward)? There seems to be a slight misalignment here too, which is more noticeable if the radius is made smaller (try two points with radius 30, 80 units apart), the parts in the curve don't match exactly (see image), and I don't mean the first/last (which would require an exact total length), could it be that the length is computed along the curve, rather than in a straight line?

[Image: chain.png]

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-25

It's a rounding thing internally it uses a 0.51ldu resolution to approximate the curve. So unless the donor part exactly lines up with a step it will be slightly off the analog curve.

Usually it isn't really that of a problem but the combination of the relative small link parts, a strong curve (radius<40) and the fact links have overlap makes it visible.

I'll see if things improve if increase the internal resolution.

edit, forgot about your other question.

You can rotate the links on the curve by rotating the first (circle) path point.

edit2: i just checked t's 1ldu stepping.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-25

No grouping isn't stored yet I need to come up with a new meta for that.

The main problem I'm having with that is that in LDCad groups can exist out of parts from multiple files (trough nesting). So I'm going to need some sort of global unique identifier.

There are some automatic groups though, those will be present without saving (e.g. the path endings).