LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
It's been an extremely long time in coming, but LDView 4.2 Beta 1 is now available for download from the LDView downloads page here (reload the page if you don't see the Test Release section at the top of the Quick Jump section).

This is a Beta release, which means that I’m hoping to get as much feedback as possible. This also means that it is likely not as stable as a final release, so you probably don’t want to try it out if you absolutely hate using buggy software.

Some notable changes:
  • Support for texture maps. Hopefully an official texture mapping extension will be approved by the LSC, and the final 4.2 release will work with the official extension.
  • Support for blue neutral faces for BFC verification.
  • Added "Right Side Up" feature, along with "Keep Right Side Up" setting while in fly-through mode.
  • Quite a lot of bug fixes.

Please see the full change history in the ChangeHistory.html file included in the packages.

If you are still using a Windows OS prior to Windows 2000, please let me know. I still have the ability to create a legacy installer, but I have not yet done so for the Beta release. If I don't get any requests, I won't do so for the official release.

If you are still using a version of Mac OS X prior to Snow Leopard, please let me know if the Mac version works for you. Note that it is Intel-only, so it definitely won't work on a PowerPC Mac. If you have one of those and want to run LDView on it, please let me know. I can't make any promises that I will even be able to create a release for you, but given that I know it will be a lot of work, I'm not going to even try unless it's specifically requested.

Please send any bugs, suggestions, or other feedback to ldview@gmail.com. As mentioned above, the main reason for this release is to get feedback so that the official release will be as high-quality as possible.
I've received a report that the Beta doesn't work on Windows XP. I tested it on one of my home computers with Windows XP, and it worked, but I had an earlier report from someone else of one of the pre-Beta 1 builds also not working on XP. So, I'd like to hear what success or failure others have had running LDView 4.2 Beta 1 on Windows XP.
My XP system that works is XP Pro SP 3. However, it's way out of date in the way of software updates, so I'm applying those now. Also, I created a legacy installer (which is designed for Windows systems prior to Windows 2000, but might solve the problem for you also). You can find it here:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ldview/...e?download
Confirmed, version 4.2b1 crashes on launch on my XP machine (a SP3 too). Legacy install does work fine !
Thank your for the report. The fact that the legacy install works should hopefully help me track down the problem. If not, at least there is a version that works.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any old language DLLs in your LDView program directory?
Maybe. I'll verify tomorrow...
Hello Travis, I'm also trying out your new version.
I'll collect feedback here in this post.

(a)
What I spotted first is: the file 8464.mpd which you deliver with the program is not self-contained.
It references unofficial file 2996.dat, thus, I received an error message when opening it.
I suggest that you put the inofficial file into the MPD.

(b)
I suggest to give the 2 files "8464.mpd" and "m6459.ldr" better filenames.
The leading "m" is confusing users. Why not simply name them
set_8464.mpd and set_6459.ldr ?

©
Why does the 64bit version install LDViewThumbs.dll?
Shouldn't LDViewThumbs64.dll be enough?
Or is the 32bit instance needed for a 32bit instance of Windows explorer?
Or for the common dialog "File/Open" of 32bit processes?
I had expected to only see the 64bit DLL.

(d)
In the model 8464.mpd, there is a building error at the steering wheel.
Look at the two toothed wheels connecting there, they overlap.
Thanks for your feedback.

Steffen Wrote:(a)
What I spotted first is: the file 8464.mpd which you deliver with the program is not self-contained.
It references unofficial file 2996.dat, thus, I received an error message when opening it.
I suggest that you put the inofficial file into the MPD.

This is actually somewhat intentional. With default settings, LDView will automatically download the unofficial 2996.dat. I'll think about including it in the MPD, though. Note that this particular sample model was created by Peter Bartfai, who maintains the Qt Linux port of LDView. I may update both sample models to meet OMR requirements, though.

Steffen Wrote:(b)
I suggest to give the 2 files "8464.mpd" and "m6459.ldr" better filenames.
The leading "m" is confusing users. Why not simply name them
set_8464.mpd and set_6459.ldr ?

If I rename them, it will be with a name that matches OMR requirements.

Steffen Wrote:©
Why does the 64bit version install LDViewThumbs.dll?
Shouldn't LDViewThumbs64.dll be enough?
Or is the 32bit instance needed for a 32bit instance of Windows explorer?
Or for the common dialog "File/Open" of 32bit processes?
I had expected to only see the 64bit DLL.

Yes, it is for any time a 32-bit process shows a system file dialog. The 32-bit installer also installs both DLLs if it is installed on a 64-bit system. This was done in response to a user complaint from the 4.1 LDView in the LDraw All-In-One installer. LDView 4.1 (which is 32-bit only, but has a 64-bit thumbnail DLL) only installs the 64-bit thumbnail DLL on 64-bit systems. A user noted that thumbnails didn't appear in the file dialogs of 32-bit apps (including LDView itself). To be honest, I haven't thouroughly tested that having both DLLs installed actually works, though.

Steffen Wrote:(d)
In the model 8464.mpd, there is a building error at the steering wheel.
Look at the two toothed wheels connecting there, they overlap.

Thanks. I'll pass that on to Peter.
> This is actually somewhat intentional.

Hmm, I think that a demonstration of the "download unofficial files automagically" feature
is not really necessary.
It is less instructive for newcomers than we might think.
Better simply just clearly document it and provide a completely self-contained MPD.
Just my thoughts.
To make sure, I cleared registry and installed LDView in another folder. Same crash on launch. Fortunately legacy version does work fine (I was missing some features introduced in the more recent beta builds).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12